Friday, July 18, 2008

after a night of fun...

Sometimes working in the retail business or any business that involves interaction with people you become frustrated. And, so a list in my head began (it's what I do). It was going to be a Top Ten list of sorts, but (thankfully) didn't end up being that long.

Here it is in all its glory (or disgust):

7. Do not try to do my job. Do not scan your own merchandise. Do not grab the receipt from my printer. Do not let your darling children try to do my job either. We are timed on each transaction and I’d really like to get my 50 cent raise, so let me get you in and out as quickly as possible.

6. If an item does not have a UPC or a SKU please do not get angry at me. I did not take it off the item simply to piss you off. It frustrates me when I have to call the department for a SKU so I can sell this product to you, but this is my job and that is the only way to do my job. Also, don’t keep telling me how much the item costs and expect me to just type that in. I can’t. This is not 1952; companies aren’t run like that anymore.

5. Do not get in line to purchase your items when you are waiting on your friend or spouse who is still shopping. “They’re coming; they have just a couple more things…” Everyone hates to wait in line and now that you are making us all wait you are making my life and the life of all the other people in line a little less pleasant.

4. If you intend to write a check for your purposes (and God help us if you are) then please be aware of how much longer it takes versus cash or credit. Do not come up to the counter and watch me scan every item and then look around for a pen for a minute and then proceed to start writing out your check. Fill out everything that you can prior to getting in line or while in line. Also, do not take another minute to write down the check number, amount and then practically budget your account while the rest of the world waits on you. Seriously. There’s a commercial that sums this up perfectly.

3. One more thing about being rude: get off your damn cell phone. You are not that important that you have to be attached to your phone every waking moment of the day. It is utterly and completely rude to throw your items on the counter, ignore me, and continue yelling into your phone. I understand there are times that you must answer your phone and I can tell when the person is genuine and apologizes for being on the phone. These are the people that say, “Thank you” even if they are talking on the phone while they are leaving.

2. Know when the store you are shopping in closes. If you’re not sure, ask someone that works there; they will gladly tell you. Please, for the love of all that is good and right in the world do not come in two minutes before we close unless it is an emergency. Yes, I still get paid, but I have a life and I have thirty three other places I’d rather be than waiting on you pick paint colors for your living room.

1. Breathe. Have a little patience. This is not a life and death situation; quit acting like it is. Since working retail I have found that people are horribly impatient and rude. Act like a human being and treat me as a human being and we’ll be okay.


Really this is just a list of things that irritate me. It isn't even concise like the David Letterman Top 10 lists b/c I have a hard time not rambling on. The world of retail isn't too bad generally, but there are moments when it all hits the fan and you just want to be done say exactly what you are thinking instead of smiling and saying, "how are you today? did you find everything okay?" especially if they ignore you after the first question or so.

Have any pet peeves of your own?

1 Comments:

Blogger K-Dubyah said...

Weelll,Where do I start?
My biggest pet peeve is being waited on by someone who doesn't smile, say thank you, good by, thanks for shopping with us! No, actually it's a idjut who pulls out in front of me then drives slower than my current speed.. Not that I would be speeding or anything like that! ya know what I mean?

Hope that you have a wonderful day! Smile....
Your Momma loves you!

7/20/2008 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home