Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Risk, not just a four letter word

The more I work my way through getting out of debt the more I realize the majority of the choices in my life have been made based on the debt that I have. The job that I take is based on the amount of money it will earn nearly as much as it is based on if it is a position I would enjoy. There are many other areas that my debt has colored my life and it is exciting to see how my mindset about some things is changing.

There are possibilities floating around in my head that I once thought were only dreams and were not a good fit for my life. My friend Jen and I have decided to venture through a book together; it’s titled Hope Lives: A Journey of Restoration. The book walks you through a five week journey about seeing poverty and what it might look like to do something about the poverty that exists in the world instead of being paralyzed by the sheer amount of it and not knowing how to help.

If you know anything about my journey these last several years you will know that I’ve had a bit of a hard time surrendering to what the traditional church looks like and also went through an incredible time of doubt about nearly all of it. And, well, if you didn’t know this it is alright, I tried to ignore it for quite awhile and didn’t know how to talk about it since I was in a constant state of questioning with no answers to be found. I’m coming through this other side of the journey a bit still baffled at church, but secure in knowing that what really matters and what has really mattered all along to God and to myself (or as much as I’m able I’d like to believe this) are people. Full Circle with a bit of a different perspective is where I think I’m headed. What I want and what I think I’ve wanted all along is to be in a place to be able to love people.

In the ebb and flow of life I’ve gone back and forth with being content and being dissatisfied with my job. That’s the key word—job. For the most part I really like the company I work for, the people I work with, and even the job that I do I do fairly well and enjoy being able to do a good job. But, there’s some sort of satisfaction that I feel I’m missing. Maybe it’s just being part of this generation feeling like there’s some sort of fulfillment that I should get from my occupation and not just a paycheck. There’s more to come from all of this, I think. I’m hoping that reading the Hope Lives book, being open to possibilities, and being ready to risk is going to help lead me on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home