Tuesday, February 14, 2006

not without love

In theory, Valentine’s Day is my second favorite holiday. The day (in my mind) is supposed to be about celebrating love, regardless of the kind of love that it is.

There are a lot of things that happened in my childhood that I wish hadn’t happened the way that they had or hadn’t happened at all. Choices that were mine to make were taken away from me. I want so much more for my niece and nephew. I want them to feel the freedom to choose to be involved in things that they love and have support from their family in doing those things. I want them to feel completely confident in their skin. I want them to learn and be challenged to continue to learn outside of school. I want them to see that life is beautiful. It isn’t always pleasant, and certainly not easy; but beautiful.

That was a bit of a tangent. Anyhow, what I mean to say is that I hope that you are enjoying this day. This Tuesday. This February 14, 2006. This Valentine’s Day.

Breathing in, I calm my body.
Breathing out, I smile.
Dwelling in the present moment,
I know this is a wonderful moment.

Thich Nhat Hanh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home