Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I made it!

After waiting for nearly an hour and a half to fly out of Winnipeg on Monday I missed my connecting flight and ended up having to stay in Chicago. Thankfully, somehow, I managed to have them pay for the hotel, transportation, and food for the night. (I didn't particularly mind. Except that it was too late to order pizza and IKEA was already closed...and within walking distance-such a tease) So, I was rebooked for a flight that left at 10:55 Tuesday morning. I was dropped off at the United terminal by 9 and once I got a little oriented to the airport, or so I thought, I looked on the departure screen only to find that I was headed in the wrong direction as my flight was leaving out of gate E7, and I was in B. I started walking in the logical direction from B7 to B8 to B9, etc. and finally decided to ask someone if I was going the right way. Nope. I had to turn around and go right and then follow that down to the other terminal. So, I finally found myself at E7 wishing that I could magically make my bag lighter. But, E7 was a Northwest gate and I was flying on United. There was one tiny sign that said United on it so I wasn't really assured that I was at the correct gate until a few other people showed up just as confused and asked around to make sure they were at the right gate. I managed to have a bit of time to rest and read until someone saw that our flight had been delayed. No more than five minutes later it was announced that we had changed gates and needed to get to F14. Yes, more walking with my carry-on gaining weight with every step. So, I walked all the way down E and then then to F and all the way down to the end was where we found F14. I had just gotten through the first page of the book I was reading to hear "Flight 5893 to Cincinnati has been cancelled, please approach the desk or Customer Service in F9 to be rebooked." I quickly get up and jump in line hoping to get on the next flight since by this point all I want to do is make it home as quick and as safe as possible. After waiting in line for 10 minutes I am re-directed to stand in another line at the Customer Service desk where my boarding pass is torn up and I am told to go to gate B21. Again, I start walking. Did I mention that Chicago is not a small airport? ;-) Anyhow, I make it to B21 and settle in and hope that with each loud speaker announcement that this flight isn't delayed, cancelled, or overbooked.

Flight 1114 landed in Cincy at 3:29pm.

I didn't actually get home until about 10pm last night since I had dinner with my dad and Vickie before my photography class (more on this later). I am T-I-R-E-D.

:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home