Wednesday, June 23, 2004

strange

A few weeks ago I came across a letter that an old friend from Dayton had written me. It was the only letter I'd ever received from him. I read it again, just like I had that first time, and it left me feeling sad and a bit helpless that he was going through a difficult time in his life. Without remembering exactly what I wrote some four or five years ago; I do remember thinking of the short conversation we had while we lived on the farm about his beliefs, or lack of actually. He claimed he was an atheist and that boggled my mind.

Finding his letter again brought back a lot of good memories. He wasn't what I would call a great friend to me. Actually, he could be kind of a jerk sometimes. As I tried to go to sleep that night I couldn't stop thinking about that letter and wondering how he was doing. I decided to put an end to my insomnia and write him. I wanted him to know that I cared about how he was doing and that I hoped his life was going well. I wanted to be genuine and caring with him, what I think I missed with that long ago conversation that we had. I gave him my address, phone number, and email address thinking that he probably wouldn't call me but would maybe write. I took it back and forth to work with me for a good week before putting a stamp on it. As I took it to the mailbox I coaxed myself with the thoughts that if I didn't send it I would end up regreting it later.

I opened up my email this morning to find an email from him that I nearly deleted because there wasn't a sender's name and just an "re" for a subject line. Lots of big things have happened since the last time we talked. Just from reading the email I could tell that he has matured since his last letter. He even included pictures of himself and his girlfriend, which you can imagine I was very excited about! I found out that he has a two year old son and is getting ready to go to court to get custody back from his ex-girlfriend. He talked about his cars and a few other little things. He's living with his girlfriend now. He never appeared to be a very affectionate guy but I actually thought, "awww, that's so sweet" when I read what he wrote about her.

I haven't decided what I'm going to write back. I mean, really, there's a lot to catch up on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home